ChangeNotificationService Fails on install

Feb 21, 2008 at 3:07 PM
I was able to install all the service other than the ChangeNotificationService. I get thru the step to install the database, but fails on registration.

"An error occurred while trying to register the Change Notification Service"
Feb 22, 2008 at 9:00 PM
turn out that SQLService 2005 developer edition doesn't support Notification Services, at least very well, it was failing on the -register portion of the setup.

It was failing in the block of code below:
#region Register the Notification Service Instance as a service.

System.Diagnostics.Process registerProcess = new System.Diagnostics.Process();

registerProcess.StartInfo.UseShellExecute = true;
registerProcess.StartInfo.FileName = NSCONTROLFILENAME;
registerProcess.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory = NSControlLocation;
registerProcess.StartInfo.Arguments = String.Format("register -name {0} -server {1} -service -serviceusername {2} -servicepassword {3}",
ICF_INSTANCENAME,
this.Context.Parameters"systemname",
this.Context.Parameters"serviceusername",
this.Context.Parameters"servicepassword");

MessageBox.Show(String.Format(@"{0}\{1} {2}", registerProcess.StartInfo.WorkingDirectory, registerProcess.StartInfo.FileName, registerProcess.StartInfo.Arguments));
registerProcess.Start();
registerProcess.WaitForExit();
if (registerProcess.ExitCode != 0)
{
throw new System.InvalidOperationException("An error ocurred while trying to register the Change Notification Service. The install cannot continue.");
}
else
stateSaver.Add("step2", "complete");

#endregion
Feb 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM
I figured out that SQLSERVER setup doesn't initially install a full version of the the Notification Services. I had to go back a fully install the Notification Services in order to get the Change Notification Service setup to work correctly.

Developer
Feb 28, 2008 at 2:16 AM
That is correct. Been there, suffered from it. ;-)

Cheers, Wagner

ggallagher wrote:
I figured out that SQLSERVER setup doesn't initially install a full version of the the Notification Services. I had to go back a fully install the Notification Services in order to get the Change Notification Service setup to work correctly.